Transform your Health in 2015!
(published in VOID magazine’s January Health and Fitness issue)
The beginning of each new year presents the opportunity for us to evolve by creating that inevitable New Year’s Resolution. But we don’t need a resolution to transform in a positive way because every day is the right day to share your greatest gift: the gift of YOU. The transformation of YOU starts by nourishing your body, mind and soul.
The health of your body is a great place to start, because it is the instrument through which of all your creativity, passion, talents and abilities are manifested. When you take care of your physical body, you experience an increase in consciousness, energy, and become filled with happiness as you become aware of your authenticity. It’s not about what is “right” or “wrong” according to current trends in nutrition, but about raising awareness with the foods that fuel you with positive energy. A well-rounded diet is crucial for nourishing your body. Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, paleo, or primal, here are a few tips for eating well:
- Eat whole foods and reduce processed foods.
- Reduce inflammatory foods such as wheat, soy, corn, dairy, nuts, and eggs and most of all sugar.
- Quality over quantity. Whole foods are nutrient-dense and will satisfy your hunger.
- Fill your plate from the Earth. This means at least 50 percent of your plate should be veggies!
- Alkalize with greens. Acid feeds yeast, viruses and bacteria. If you are addicted to sugar, chances are you need more greens in your diet.
- Drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water every day.
- Avoid foods with words you cannot pronounce on the label of packaged foods.
- Consider a program to get you on track and get the support you need. There are many options available including Healthy Beach Girl Programs!
The balance of exercise with eating healthy is important. Some of us thrive on endorphins from a high cardio workout, while others prefer surfing, sports or a yoga practice. I like a little of everything. Find what works for you and stick to it. When you feel the benefits from exercising, you won’t want to put junk in your body.
We need to balance that healthy body with a healthy mind. It’s important to have a healthy relationship with food with no judgment or expectations; just awareness and enjoyment. The 80/20 rule is a good one where you strive to eat healthy the majority of time. Nourishment is really about self-love, so put yourself first. Yes, I said it. If you don’t, who will? Maybe your spouse or your pet if you are lucky.
To create clear consciousness, not only do we clean out the junk in our body, but we level with the emotional stuff, too. It’s time to let go of old thoughts, habits or someone else’s expectations that no longer serve you.
That brings us to our soul, our spirit, and the essence of our being. We have many options for spiritual practices to include surfing, yoga, music or a traditional Sunday morning service. Finding a way to connect to something beyond yourself leads to an increase in energy and a happier state of being.
Let this be the year you truly transform, filling your brain with creativity, your heart with kindness, and your body with healthy and nourishing food. It’s time to share your awesome, authentic self with the rest of us.